What is the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service Program?
The CyberCorps Scholarship for Service program is available to eligible students interested in pursuing cyber security careers. The program helps to provide you with training for cyber sec careers in gov’t. The scholarship aims to recruit and train professionals who will serve at the local, state and federal levels.
Created in 2000, the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service hopes to improve the relationship between the education sector and employers in need of trained professionals.
After nearly 20 years, the program has resulted in more than 3,600 graduates. Many of those graduates have gone on to work at more than 140 governmental agencies. Those who receive the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service may learn how to protect the critical cyber infrastructure of the gov’t. They serve the country in their own way.
Awards and Stipends
Eligible students who are interested in pursuing a cyber career may want to learn more about the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service program. This program may offer various awards and stipends to students. The program provides help for tuition and other related expenses. It also provides students with access to career services.
Important facts to know about the program include:
- Students in the program could receive up to three years of financial support. This may be for undergraduate or graduate level degrees.
- Undergrad students receive a $25,000 stipend per year.
- Grad students receive a $34,000 stipend per year
- The program covers fees for tuition. It also covers related educational expenses. It cannot be used toward housing, meal plans or parking.
- Students may receive $6,000 for travel expenses. This could be put toward attending job fairs. It also might be put toward earning professional certs.
- Students may participate in virtual and live job fairs.
Students who participate in the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service must complete a service requirement after graduation. They are required to serve for the same amount of time as the scholarship they received. For example, a student who received three years of support would then be required to serve in a government agency for three years. This could provide the student with valuable work experience right after graduation.
Eligibility and Requirements
Interested in the program? In order to qualify, you must meet certain requirements. To be eligible, you must be:
- A US citizen. You can also be a legal permanent resident.
- A full time student at a college or university.
- Within three years of graduation.
- Working on a cyber sec degree.
Many program participants are students working on an undergrad or grad degree. However, some are community college students. Community college students at qualified schools may be eligible. Community college students must be working on an associate’s degree or certificate in the cyber security industry. And, community college students also may qualify if they already have a bachelor’s degree.
In addition, you may be eligible if you are a veteran that served in the military.
All students who receive this scholarship must meet additional federal employment criteria. In addition, all program participants must be able to pass security clearance.
There may be other cases in which a student is eligible for this program. You may be able to reach out to program admins to learn more about eligibility. The program does accommodate additional students under certain circumstances. These cases are considered on an individual basis.
Purdue University Global
- Experience world class education online!
- Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Cyber Security Programs Include:
BS in Cyber Security
MS in Cyber Security Management
Graduate Certificate in Information Security
Southern New Hampshire University
- Take advantage of some of the nation’s most affordable tuition rates, while earning a degree from a private, nonprofit, NEASC accredited university
- Multiple term start dates throughout the year. 24/7 online classroom access.
- Cyber Programs Include:
BS in Cybersecurity – General Track, Data Analytics or Project Management Track
MS Cybersecurity – General Track or IT Management
Steps to Get Into the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service Program
The CyberCorps Scholarship for Service program is offered at participating schools. Students who are interested should verify that their school is a program participant.
The application process for this program varies based on the school. Students should contact their school to learn more about the proper steps to take.
Participating schools may also have their own selection process. They might consider a variety of factors when deciding who to award the scholarship to. For more information on the selection process, students should contact their school.
The entire process takes about six steps to complete. These steps include:
- Enrolling in a participating school. You should verify which schools participate in your own state. You also may attend another school in a different state in order to qualify. There are more than 29 schools that participate in the program.
- Apply for the scholarship. Students may want to find out more about the application process after they enroll. Each school has their own requirements for application. Each school also has its own requirements for selection.
- After being accepted, you should register for the program. You may be required to complete an internship.
- Students who receive the scholarship for more than a year must participate in an internship. These internships may last about 10 weeks.
- After completing the cyber security degree program, students may make plans for the future. First, they must complete their gov’t service. Students in the program are matched with a participating gov’t agency.
- Prior to beginning gov’t service, students must complete a security clearance. This may involve a personal investigation. It also may require the student to participate in an interview.
- After graduation and finishing the security clearance, students begin their service. This service program may allow them to work in a government agency. It helps give them the experience they need. It may lead to a career in gov’t service. Students may find it rewarding to put their education to use in the gov’tal sector.
Find Out More About the CyberCorps Scholarship for Service Program
The CyberCorps Scholarship for Service program is perfect for those interested in the cyber security field. It helps provide them with funding for their education. It also gives them a unique opportunity to explore career fields. Students in this program could gain plenty of real world experience. They may be matched with gov’t agencies during their education and after graduation. Students earn their degrees at qualified institutions. At the same time, they may participate in job fairs and internships.
Students who are interested in the program should begin by finding out if their school participates in it. The CyberCorps Scholarship for Service program is available at many schools across the country. Each school has its own eligibility requirements and application process. Each individual school will have its own qualifications and expectations for selection.